What is a Cooperative?
A co-operative preschool is a unique, engaging, and wonderful experience, and it works best when we all fully commit to the vision and responsibility. To that end, here is an overview of our philosophy and approach.
Because we work together to provide our children’s learning environment, each family has both considerable influence within and significant responsibility for the school. The membership runs the entire business aspect of the school, as well as serving as parent teachers in the classroom. Being in a co-op requires time and energy! The concept works only when each member contributes his/her fair share of the work and ideas. The positives are immeasurable: you learn a great deal about your child and his/her interactions in a group, you learn many ideas for things to do with your child, as well as the basics of early childhood development theory, you meet friends with similar interests who have children in your child’s age group, you observe many other children, gaining a new appreciation for your child’s unique attributes, and you are an integral part of your child’s first educational experience. When you walk into The Cottage, please remember it is a child’s world.
ALL OF US ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING:
• A varied and rich program for the children
• A unique learning experience for the children and parents
• A safe and nurturing environment
OUR DIRECTOR AND TEACHERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING:
• Skilled guidance for children and adults
• Continuity in the daily program
• A “professional touch” to our learning
• The tools for us to meet state licensing standards
PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
• Fulfilling co-op and periodic emergency day obligations
• Attending monthly business meetings
• Fulfilling job requirements
• Participating fully in fundraising events
• Considering the work at The Cottage your job and giving it the attention it requires and deserves